Monday, April 9, 2012

Short Story Editing_THE VISITOR

Short Story Writing Workshop
Short Story Writing Workshop (Photo credit: MadLabUK) Flickr
Jean Purcell
The third and final part of my first short story, in draft, is posted on Opinari Writers now. I hope short story lovers and writers will comment. Be as forthright or blunt with critique as you need to be. Be specific, please. No general comments that do not give me any good feedback I can use. 

Thanks!

The next phase for me is to give some tough editing after I join the three parts as a story draft. Rewriting will happen as part of tough editing.

I'm thinking of trying to shorten the story (in draft it's over 5,000 words). 

Word count for a short story can be anywhere from 500 to 9,000 words, according to general rules. There is no clear cut rule limit, but a very long short story becomes a novella. 

I'd like The Visitor to be about 3,000 words or less. 

You can bet I have no idea yet if that's a do-able goal for me...without taking too much from the story. 

I hope the two main characters, the mother of Elizabeth and the young professional woman, Catherine, will keep your interest. Other characters include Elizabeth, her brothers and their families. In the discussion are Catherine's family as well, by way of some background and information.

I'll update when the next draft, or the final, is ready.

Meanwhile, would you read and comment, briefly or at length? Or, pass it along to someone who might critique/comment? 

I'm determined to keep working at this genre of writing!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: