Friday, October 1, 2010

Have You Lost Your Mind - er, Focus?

"Why do I keep butting my head against the writing wall???!!!" Does this sound like you? It sounds like me, sometimes. We need to keep going back to basics of why we write. Why do we do this? It helps, believe me, to use two kinds of mission statements. I know, sounds crazy. "Can words solve my problem?" you may wonder. I'm serious here: There is something good about mission statments. They do work to calm us down and help us get on with what we want to do, no matter what.
The first kind of statement is general. It covers why you write, what, and to what readers. Maybe you write fiction. Or, maybe nonfiction. I don't know. Maybe you write both, and also are a poet. Whatever, you need a mission statement for what you do or want to do,
Trust me on this, and go to the second kind: You need a focus, or mission, statement for every writing project you do.
For both kinds of statements, start with lots of expressive words that speak for what the work intends to be about and do. Then, narrow it down in stages until there is one sentence of 14 words. No more than 14 words. Less, yes; more, no. This word limit works. Can't explain it, but it does, and I've had lots of feedback from writers. There's no fluff. No fanciness. Just the core of the mission. Then, assess the work of the project by the mission statement. If a mission statement is weak or incorrect, correct it. But whatever you do, make sure the writing and the mission statement (no more than 14 words) are in harmony.
In the Company of Others: A Father Tim NovelMitford Series by Jan Karon Books 1-9These High, Green Hills (The Mitford Years #3)

No comments: