Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Christian Writers and Spiritual Needs

Speed-the-Light Sunday at The Rock Church, Val...Image by Old Shoe Woman via Flickr--Christian group at church in Valdosta, GA, USA.

by Jean Purcell

editor@opinebooks.com
Follow on Twitter @opinaripeople

Commentary 

We destroy every proud obstacle that keeps people from knowing God...  (2 Corinthians 10:5a-New Living Translation).

As I read from 2 Corinthians 10 this morning, I thought, "Believers face obstacles too," although the context was how to help others that seek God. You and I, as Christian writers, need reminders to destroy every proud obstacle, which is anything that prevents or tries to prevent us from knowing God. God helps us in our writing efforts if we seek Him, our dearest and wisest Guide:  
      
     When You said, "Seek My face," my heart said to You, "Your face, O LORD, I shall seek" (Psalm 27:8-NASB)
      
     Many obstacles appear through that "terrible thing to waste," as a popular slogan says of the mind. The mind is fertile ground open to good or bad thoughts; the bad and negative ones make barriers to knowing God and to the whole-health mental life that comes from God.    
     As Christian authors, let's be aware of our thoughts, intentions, and actions. We are subject to the same kinds of temptations that Jesus faced. The disciples and others were, too; yet like us they lacked Jesus' perfection. John the Apostle said to acknowledge and confess our sins and to repent. This is required obedience (e.g., read 1 John).
     Are we aware of proud obstacles? The psalmist prayed, "Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if  there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting" (Psalm 139:23-25).
     Let us daily seek God in such a way, God who made us. Let us enjoy the writing work clear of obstacles, in the light and freedom of Jesus Christ, our Lord.

Dear Lord, I offer deep thanksgivings and praises to You for Your salvation. Search my heart and my thoughts so that I may be with You day by day, nothing between us. Enable me to see, discern, and destroy every proud obstacle to knowing You. Amen. 

Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is so true, in many parts of life. With so many things pulling on our minds today - cell phone (texting, calls, mobile internet, emails), the computer (surfing, answering emails, work)and then television (reality tv, cable news, disasters reported everywhere)sometimes we are too proud to realize that we can't be productive without making changes. I am beginning to realize that I have to turn things off to get any work done; I can't work through all the stimuli! The same goes with faith; you need silence, sometimes, to hear anything at all.

Unknown said...

You said it! Your concluding line wraps it up.