Wednesday, March 23, 2011

With Rare Exceptions, Long Blog Articles Annoy Me

Illustration for "The Black Cat" by ...Image via Wikipedia
Like cats on heads, long blog posts can be annoying.
Jean Purcell

As a blog writer I have posted some long essays. I could call them articles. I might call a few short stories.

As a blog reader, however, I grow increasingly impatient with long posts by other writers. If I have to scroll down more than once to read all of one post, I get ready to bolt for bytes of interest elsewhere.  

This morning I came across a long blog article that I would have enjoyed if it had been on a printed page. On paper. But on the monitor, it seemed to go on and on and on and on and on. It had all the right things, including some neat dialogue. Still, I did not read it all. I ran fast for the last paragraph, whose example I did not understand due to having skipped so much.

This post, dear reader, is near its end. I wrote it shorter just for you. If my remarks encourage you to write shorter on blogs, good. Or do your own thing if you just have to write long.

I understand, believe me. If you must write long, please don't use tiny print sizes!

(c) 2011 Opinari and Jean Purcell
The book at left is Short Stories and Essays from Literature and Life by William Dean Howells. It is available for Kindle at no charge- $0.00!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: