Friday, April 5, 2013

The Easiest Thing to Do...


The easiest thing to do on a computer is to take a teeth-gritting ride. I have had so many computer problems in the last 36 hours that I am now way off track, lost in a wasteland of pop-ups and intense overnight freezing. I had to type the final draft for this blog post on a document and copy and paste it here.
     Being dizzy due to where I’ve been, what I’ve seen, and how I’m feeling right now, I do want to share with you some sign posts that might help you.
    You know the dreaded “blue screen”? That’s the only thing you see, the only destination you can reach...if your computer crashes. As a support technician told me yesterday, “You don’t want to see the blue screen!!!” The guy we pay to keep our four computers going will be unhappy with me, probably, because when the emergency tech person was so helpful I bought a $30-something package for one year, having watched her cursor on my PC screen, showing me an array of scary things—snakes, bugs, and spies in there!
     Today I ran the scan and let the software fix everything so that my risk meter went from Danger! orange to Ahhh! blue. Not sure that comfort range will last for long. I’m still waiting a long time for the pesky pages to load.
     I also discovered that one could go without water for days and days in the desert of "How do I get Explorer not to track my own page views the way it's doing today?!!" before realizing there's no one there... no support helping. 
     Then, it appeared to me that Firefox could save the day. Easy to do, switch back to Firefox when working with Google Blogger! Yay! Success!
    What else did I want to warn you about? I started off wanting to advise what is obvious: try not to get carried away on the Internet when the computer starts to slow down, whirr indefinitely, and repeatedly remind you it is sick, or at least coming down with a highly poisonous virus. Get to some civilized place where real people are certified in Windows or Mac issues. Let them help you, even if the first clean up costs a bundle...or save everything in Ethernet Clouds!  (I don't really know what I'm talkin' about, but I've heard rumors...!)
     Meanwhile, reminded of how heavily I lean on the computer and the Internet, I know I need a serious talk with myself in these computer woods. I'm sitting on a cold log, imagining green trees and blue sky with puffy clouds…memories of changing photos on my Opinari Writers blog, a companion to this one.
    I've dumped a bag of unwanted software in the trash can, glad their deals never made it onto my charge card. A new plethora of pop ups, multiplying like weeds, still bother me,  and I’m trying to cut them down too.
     Take care, writing friend. And I invite you, while I have these moments, to visit the new “Conceptualize Me!” page over at Opinari Writers. It’s about a new way to handle my book and content analysis work. Recommend it if you like what you see and read. That is, if you're up and running.  

Uh oh. Now that my PC is running faster, my blog post paragraph indents won't line up/tab correctly. Bye. I'm outa here.

No comments: