Friday, November 30, 2012

Why not...Self-Publish Your Book?


My book with pen name

by Jean Purcell

One of the first questions I get from new authors is "Should I self-publish or look for an established publishing house?" 
     I have done both, so my answer is "Why not think about both and see which sounds right for you?" 
     Then I try to add some of the pitfalls, either way. Whether you choose to self-publish or to sell your manuscript to an established publisher, you will learn along the way what is involved. There will probably be hopes, bumps, hard work, and sacrifices along the way, either way.

My first book was Not All Roads Lead Home (NARlH), my memoir, written under a pen name. My relationship with Highland Books, Ltd., UK --the publisher--was very positive. Highland still sells first edition copies throughout the UK.  
    Highland did not have US distribution rights when I wanted the book to be available in my home country. Eventually I started a publishing company, Opine Publishing. The second edition extended the flavor of the relationships, memory, religious influences, and changes--themes of the first edition. 
    Not All Roads Lead Home-Second edition adds key experiences of amazing years when my husband and I traveled to changing parts of the world (30 countries for me) from our temporary home in Geneva, Switzerland, until 1998. 

I love advising first-book authors that contact me. It was something I never expected to do. Helping them is one way I can give back. I enjoy getting to know them and their stories.   
    My hope for you is that whatever path you choose for getting your book published, that your dreams for your book will deepen as you work. Your book might give much-needed positive enjoyment for people in different places in life.
     All the best to you, and why not?

Related articles in hopes that you will not talk yourself out of doing the work of your dreams. 
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: