Monday, November 22, 2010

Thanksgiving and Christmas Comfort

Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons are full of joy for many people and for regrets or sorrows for others. They can be times of companionship and fellowship, or of loneliness, even in a crowd. Once again, I think of the soul comfort that we need again and again, whether alone or happily with others. I return to a book that I can open at any page and find something of comfort and faith there. In that way, it is like the Bible, for it is full of God's words. 

The Mourner's Comforter is an unusual, remarkable book, number five, chronologically, on my list of important books. This book landed on my path at just the right time. I believe that God sent Charles H. Spurgeon and C. S. Lewis to walk me into the kingdom through their books-The Mourner's Comforter (CHS) and Surprised by Joy (CSL). The Mourner's Comforter convincingly shows God's call to us, to give us extraordinary strength and hope in every circumstance. 
My older brother, Gerald, gave me my first copy of this book, which he put back into circulation. To see The Mourner's Comforter available again fulfilled a dream my brother and I later shared. Now, it helps me face my brother's present illness and weakness. God helps his family every day.

No comments: